“An ‘extremely credible source’ has called my office and told me that Barrack Obama’s birth certificate is a fraud.” 8/6/12
“I am the law and order candidate.” 7/11/16
“From this day forward, it’s going to be only America first, America first.” 1/20/17
Growing up, I had the benefit of knowing someone with a diagnosed personality disorder. This individual had an unrelenting craving for attention, and lied often and glibly – sometimes for personal gain and sometimes for no apparent reason. Why do I say that this was a benefit? Because I can readily recognize this peculiarity of human character. People with this disorder cannot be trusted!
Advice for dealing with this twist in our central government
Yes, it seems like there is a new horror every day. If you are like me, you may worry that we will become inured to it. Here are some suggestions:
- Don’t let it consume you:
- Take a break from focusing on the things that this man does or says
- Consider taking a news break – this may mean taking a “screen” break
- Remember: we are a diverse nation, with many outstanding, good people. Our country has made progress – this regression can be temporary
- Re-frame the narrative:
- These are fascinating times
- It will be interesting to see how this all unfolds
- This particular state of affairs is temporary!
- Don’t become paralyzed!
- Take action
- Work on something positive in the community
- Remember that your part in all of this is a relatively small part
Weaken the President’s power – defeat his supporters
Act Blue has set up a page where you can donate to defeating the GOP legislators who voted for “Trumpcare”. Note that your donation can be divided between various organizations or allocated individually.
Support worthy organizations that have lost funding
Volunteer in your community
This summer I am volunteering with the Summer Lunch program, giving free meals to children in low-income areas (a collaboration between the Alameda County Community Food Bank and the Oakland Public Library).